Thursday, February 5, 2009

Capturing a life story

My husband's grandfather came to stay during Thanksgiving 2008.  We had given him a book for Christmas 2007, that he could use to document his life.  I didn't realize at the time that is was 300 pages long (because I ordered it off the internet and had it sent directly to him).  He was totally overwhelmed by it and hadn't even begun it when he came to stay with us.

I had bought it for two reasons.  Firstly, because I believe it is important to document our ancestors' histories, or it is forever lost.  And secondly, he had seemed so animated in the past whenever he had talked about his childhood - growing up in rural Georgia - or his life on a submarine.

So, while my husband had to work each day, his grandfather and I would sit for at least 2 hours a day and I would ask him the questions and then write his responses as he thoughtfully answered  - sometimes with amusement and occasionally with  a twinge of sadness.  

While I really enjoyed doing it, and I know my husband will treasure it long after his grandfather is gone, I too felt a twinge of sadness, but mine was for my own lost opportunity.  All my grandparents are gone now and I so wish that I had made the time to document each of their lives.  I was too busy, living my life and running around in my 20's to really make time for them.  I think I falsely believed that they would be around forever, or that their memories would last, and we could do it any old time.  Hindsight can sometimes be painful.  Oh how I wish I had done things differently.  What I wouldn't give for a day with my maternal grandmother now.  To hold her lovely hands and photograph them so that I never forget what they look like.  It is the small details that I miss the most.  The smell of her powder, the sound of her laughter - I wish I had video-taped her, no matter how uncomfortable it might have made her feel, I would love to have a tangible copy of her voice, now that she is gone.  I wouldn't care if it was a copy of the most boring conversation, just to have that, would be priceless.

So, like I ask my coaching clients, what can I learn from this, given I can't turn back the clock?  It is time to start documenting my parents lives. Don't wait or hesitate.  Take the opportunities while the opportunities are still around.

Each of us has a life story to tell.  Whether there is anyone here to listen or care, is irrelevant.  You are important and your time on this planet made a difference.  Share only the highlights if that is all you have time for.  Tape yourself, record your voice, share your hopes and dreams, because while your loved ones may not appreciate it now, someday it might just be the most important item they own - capture it.

No comments: