Monday, November 17, 2008

Flop

Do you ever have a situation, that in your head was going to go well and be a success, but in reality was a flop?

I have, and, I did - this morning.  

I belong to a small networking group, which I really enjoy.  Each month one person does a more in-depth presentation about their business, which allows the rest of us to further understand what they do, what makes them unique, who their ideal clients are and how best to refer them.  It also allows us as a group to ask questions and give feedback on their presentation, their market/niche or their way of communicating what they do.  This morning I had volunteered to present my other company Rigore Rather than do a powerpoint presentation which is not my thing, (no offense to those that love them), I decided to do a quick exercise to show the interactive nature of our business and to give the others an opportunity to look at their businesses and see what is, and is not, working within them.

I was given 10 minutes to do the presentation, and as soon as I started, I knew it wasn't going to work.  I didn't have the time to really give the others the context for the exercise, I just jumped in, and they didn't respond with the gusto or opportunity (that I thought it clearly was!) At the end, there were a ton of questions, not so much about the exercise but about what Rigore actually does and where/how we could help a company.  Essentially it was a flop.

Not a total flop, as perhaps my inner critics would want me to believe, but a 90% flop.

Rather then dwell on this or remain as mortified and embarrassed as I feel (there is a part of me that would like to stick my head in the sand and that thinks 'these people must think I am an idiot!!') I am going to take this as a learning experience.

What did I learn from this?

1.  An exercise cannot be done in 10 minutes (it needs time to be set up, completed and debriefed adequately, or it is a waste of time)

2.  Run through either in reality or with a willing test subject, to weed out questions, problems or road blocks (because no matter how many times I have led an exercise, shortening any exercise does have substantial impacts on it's potential for success)

3.  I enjoy this group, so don't run and hide.  I do have something to offer. This is an opportunity to do better next time and others can learn from my mistake

4.  Some people just don't get what I do and I need to either do a better job of finding ways to explain it, or be willing to let go of those that really don't want to get it.  There are plenty more people out there in the world and those who have worked with us, do get it

5.  To have a ding in my pride hurts, but it isn't the end of the world

6.  Perhaps someone got a nugget of helpful information, that will lead to positive results for them

So, while I would have preferred to be a raging success today, I will humbly admit defeat and look forward to tomorrow with renewed passion and enthusiasm, because if there is one thing I am VERY clear about: I LOVE what I do, and I KNOW I provide value.

No comments: