Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Public Service

On my way to get a cup of coffee and fill the car with gas this morning, I happened to turn on XM Radio to the Oprah & Friends channel.  While I am not a huge fan of Rabbi Shmuley, once in a while he will talk about something that is of interest to me and this morning, in honor of Veterans Day, he was talking about Public Service and raising children to be of service to others.  The people who called into the show had me in tears.  They shared their stories of how they, and/or their families have served others.  The spectrum went from helping to prepare the food for Thanksgiving at shelters to a child who designed her own clothing line and then donated the money to the specials needs class at her school...it got me in the heart.

For several years my husband and I have talked about volunteering on Thanksgiving or Christmas - to give something to those who are less fortunate than we are.  Given he knows me well, he has wisely pointed out that while this is a great idea, it is likely to leave me in tears and and unwilling or unable to then turn around and celebrate the day myself.  I know he is right.  I couldn't go and volunteer in the morning with children who have no gifts and then come home and open my own gifts, it would just break my heart.  Instead, each year we have settled on donating money to the Second Harvest Food Bank.

As I drove I started to feel selfish and embarrassed at my lack of community service. 

And then I remembered, I had spent a year-and-a-half serving on the Board within my community and for years I always had at least one pro-bono coaching client.  Plus, years ago I spent a morning cleaning up a beach with a friend, which as strange as it may sound, was a lovely experience.  It was a gorgeous morning, the water lapped at the beach and as we picked up trash we caught up on each other's lives - I felt fantastic and like I had really done something positive for the planet.  Thank goodness, I thought, I do have a good heart and more importantly my actions are consistent with it - I do give back!

When I arrived home, I shared the stories I had heard on the radio with my hubbie and I choked up even trying to retell them.  We have agreed that we will look for some way to be of service next year in terms of our time, and we will continue the discussion as to how to contribute as this holiday season approaches.  

We all may have our own challenges in life, but there are those that are far less fortunate than us.  As we all move towards the holiday season, please give some thought as to how you could do, or give, a little extra, to make someone else's life a little more filled with cheer.  My experience has been that the way I feel about myself when I do it, far exceeds the gift I have given.

Thank you!

No comments: