Monday, November 10, 2008

How much to share?

I was at a networking event last week, and the topic came up of how much personal information we should be sharing - be it on our blogs, our websites, Facebook etc - and I have to confess it is a question I have been, and continue to, struggle with.  

I love the blogs where people are very real and share what they are going through, their imperfections, their struggles and their inner voices that tell them they should be doing something other than what they are doing.  And yet, I have come to realize that I am perhaps a more private person than I thought.  On the Myers-Briggs scale, I am a big Extrovert, but on some other scale, I want to have my own private spaces.  Frankly, I would love to have a room where only I go into (and my hubbie sometimes too), but one that is not open for public viewing.  Where I can put my thoughts or works in progress, up on the walls and not fear someone looking at them and thinking I am weird or judging me.  I would equally love to have a very public side of me, where I am leading large groups of people through exercises that enrich their lives.

But the question raised, of how much to share, was an interesting one, and again, gave me pause for thought.  My advice for her was to share only as much as she really, truly, feels comfortable saying.  I am applying the same advice to myself.  Is there more I could share on this blog?  Absolutely!  Are there days when I feel like perhaps I have shared too much of myself?  You bet!

My guess is, at least a good portion of the concern comes from fear.  Fear that if we reveal too much someone could steal our identities.  Fear that people will think we are weird.  Fear that we could say too much and later be hurt with that information.  However, if there is one thing I am really clear about it is that I don't want to live in fear.  I may not be able to go back to the carefree innocence of childhood, but perhaps there is a middle ground that will allow me more freedom and less concern.

I'm off to go looking for that middle ground, I'll let you know what I find.

No comments: