Tuesday, November 18, 2008

They just don't make them like this any longer

I was in an antiques store (known as The Collective) this past weekend, when I overheard a woman say to her husband  "they just don't make them like this any longer"  I hadn't intended to overhear their conversation, and I would never normally comment on something I overhear, but it so echoed my own sentiments that as I moved closer to where they were, I mentioned overhearing her and added how much I concurred with her sentiments.

Thankfully, there are still people around who appreciate fine craftsmanship - including antiques - and more importantly, there are still skilled craftspeople around to do it.  No matter how good a machine is at carving, nothing beats a piece of furniture that has been lovingly created by hand.  Don't get me wrong, mass-produced items have their place - and their price point - but I have a high-attention and appreciation for detail, and that, more often than not, does not come from mass production.  

Perhaps this is why when I go into an old house, I almost get giddy with excitement at the details that just are not used in more modern houses.  I love patina, and something that has history - even if I don't know the history.

A few years ago while we were in the Grand Canyon, my husband walked by the train station and notice the door handles.  He knew how much I would love them and called me over to have a look.  I sighed with utter contentment, and almost welled up with tears, when I saw the 'GC' carved into the knob and unusual shape of the plate - they just don't make them like this any longer...

No comments: