Monday, October 27, 2008

Doing the 'right' thing first

On Friday, my Solopreneur Group challenged me to spend this week focussing on 'what is most important.'  You see, like the quote I posted on Friday, I can get caught up in the To Do's of life and not get to the important stuff.  I would love to say that the To Do's are important too, and they are, but I would be kidding myself to say that they are 'more' important.

I seem to have a never-ending To Do list, to the point that some of my friends joke about it, and years ago, one challenged me, that 'for every 1 To Do item I added, I had to take 3 off.'  This was easy if I could find 3 to get quickly handled, or at a stretch I could delete a task (which used to be a rarity for me, but I am finding it easier to get on board with these days - particularly when I just KNOW that I am never going to get around to that item and changing the date every week or month doesn't help!)

So, did I do the most important or right thing first today?  No.  However, here is what I learnt from today....

1.  I didn't make an actual list this morning, rather I had it in my head and meandered through my lists, piles, emails and tasks

2.  Having not actually sat at my desk for any decent length of time in the last few weeks doesn't work for me.  I need chunks of time to just sit and plough through work and not get up, go out or get distracted in any way

3.  I need to create a better filtration system for myself (eg: who cares what other films the actress from the movie I watched last night has been in, it really doesn't enhance my life, but it does take my precious time to look it up!)

4.  What I also KNOW to be true about myself...I ALWAYS feel better about myself when I do the right things first!!

My commitment for tomorrow is as follows:

1.  As soon as I post this blog, make the list of the 3 most important and 'right' things to focus on tomorrow

2.  Ask myself the question 'does this activity enhance my life?' at several intervals tomorrow - specifically if I find myself doing anything other than the 3 above listed tasks

3.  Remember the 'right' perspective that I committed to for this week is 'growing, focussing and investing in my businesses'

4.  At the end of the day tomorrow, review my list and my achievements, and celebrate!

What is the right thing for you to do first tomorrow?

No comments: