Thursday, October 23, 2008

Roller Coaster Riding


I LOVE roller coasters!

For those of you who know me, but don't know me well, this may come as a surprise - given I like to be 'in control' and on a roller coaster I am so not in control.  However, there is something appealing about letting go and trusting that I will arrive safely back at the end of the ride, perhaps with a few bumps or bruises, but mostly with an adrenalin high and a smile on my face.

While I love some of the newer rides like Tatsu at Magic Mountain I am a bigger fan of the old wooden roller coasters like The Giant Dipper at Santa Cruz's Beach Boardwalk.  I always walk off laughing, it has enough of an adrenalin rush without scaring the living daylights out of me.

This year while I was in New York, my cousin and I took a trip out to Coney Island and we rode the Cyclone.  It definitely wasn't my favorite ride of all time, but given it's legendary status, I thought it was a must.

Recently, I was having an interesting conversation about 'control' at a party (not brought up by me, but I certainly engaged in the topic once it was raised).  The theme was that control is an illusion and yet so many of us try to hold on to it, grasp it or perhaps even suffocate it.  I know that there have been times in my life when I have wanted control of myself, my life, my health, to the point of desperation, and while I tried to convince myself that I either had control, or was gaining some form of control, I am not sure that was really accurate.  However, control is not something I give up easily, unless, I am on a roller coaster, and then I am a willing participant.

I wonder if I gave up control willingly in other areas would I laugh and smile more?  Would I have more adrenalin just for life?  I think it is worth considering.

Where do you give up control?  Willingly or otherwise? 

No comments: