Friday, October 17, 2008

Forgiveness

I went to hear an amazing speaker last night on the topic of forgiveness. Dr Fred Luskin, is both entertaining and knowledgeable, but even more than that, he is realistic, about human beings and how we truly behave.  He was honest about the egotistical and self-centered nature, that we all have the ability to exhibit.  But perhaps what I was left with most, was that there may never be a time when we actually want to forgive someone for how they may have wronged us.  There is never a 'right' time, and often we hold onto the grudges for FAR longer than the scale of the event perhaps deserves.  The fact is, that our unwillingness to forgive hurts us FAR more than it ever hurts the other person.

While I might not feel like forgiving the people who have 'wronged' me, I am very clear that I have no desire to have my anger and bitterness impact me any longer.  Therefore, my commitment to you is to make a list of those who I need to forgive and start to work on that.  I have no doubt that some will be easier to forgive than others, and I know it is going to take a dose of generosity on my part, but I am up for the challenge.

How about you, are you ready to let some of those grievances go?

I hope so, because Fred assured us that it will come back to benefit us in spades, and I think it is worth giving it a go.

With compassion for us all,

Catherine

No comments: