Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Favorite places

Do you have favorite places that you like to revisit each time you return to your childhood home, or each time you return to a location you don't live anywhere near?  Somewhere where you will drive out of your way just to eat their food, drink their drinks or soak up the ambience?

I do. Many, in fact, but one of my all time favorites is what I affectionately refer to as The General Store.  


It isn't really a general store, but rather a cafe with a big, double-sided fireplace inside for when it is cold and foggy like this.


It is equally beautiful whether it is cold and foggy or hot and sunny.  

It is located on the east coast of New Zealand's south island, between Blenheim and Christchurch.  Whenever I am in Blenheim, I will make the hour plus drive each way, just to go and have coffee and sit in this place.  There is something so wild and untamed about it that I am just enthralled by.  Even if I am only able to stay for 30 minutes, I consider it well worth the trip and it's impact on me is one of serenity and true contentment.

I simply love this place!

Where do you just love to go?

No comments: