Thursday, October 30, 2008

Serendipity and the Now

As luck would have it, I was scheduled to be on a call today as part of the Time Experts Telesummit.  Dr Neil Fiore, author of The Now Habit, was the guest speaker and he spoke about procrastination and choosing to spend 15-30 minutes per day to advance something that we are committed to in our lives.  He called it the 'fear inoculation' and the sooner we are able to take a step towards what we fear, the sooner we will be able to overcome it.

The conversation itself was interesting, but given the week I have had, and my lack of any real advancement on my 3 tasks, I found it particularly applicable.  There is a familiar pattern in what has transpired this week and what transpires more weeks than I would care to think about, or want to admit. 

I certainly get things done, don't get me wrong.  I am not sitting watching daytime TV - far from it - rather the little, dare I say, more trivial To Do's get done first and then that bigger, more important and scarier ?? things get put off.

I hate to admit it, but this is my form of self-sabotage.  I am embarrassed to even be typing this and I have a strong desire to delete this last few lines, but it is the truth.  Oh how, I wish it wasn't!  Couldn't I pick another one, perhaps a more appealing version of self-sabotage?? 

Here's the thing, I know what my priorities are (according to Neil, we all do).  And, I KNOW how good I feel about myself when I do the right thing first.  I now need to focus on re-building that muscle so that it becomes a new (and rewarding) habit for me!

Neil's advice is to spend 15-30 minutes first thing in the morning before you shower or eat breakfast to advance one of your top priorities.  I am going to experiment with this next week, anyone keen to join me?

No comments: